Monday, March 28, 2011

Valentine's Chocolate

Valentine's Chocolate

We are on the heels of one of the biggest chocolate days of the year and  I have a surprising (perhaps even shocking) admission to make.  


I have never received chocolates for Valentine's Day.  Ever.


Valentinechoc
There is no question in the minds of anyone who knows me that I am an enthusiastic chocoholic and always have been. It's a no-brainer really. I couldn't be easier to shop for.


But instead, Valentine's for me has always been just about the week after February 14th when all the chocolate goes on clearance sale and I can scoop up copious amounts at bargain prices for myself.  Sad but true.


Should you feel sorry for me?  How has a woman who writes a chocolate blog completely missed ever being gifted Valentine's chocolate?  


It all began with my first boyfriend who was not well-schooled in the fine art of romance. Valentine's Day was either, ahem, accidentallymissed or marked with some hastily purchased cinnamon hearts from the local convenience store.  Which is nice.  Nice. He was very nice.


My next boyfriend was decidedly his polar opposite. He was all about grand gestures of amour, complete with candlelight and flowers and corny poetry and over-the-top story book surprises.  The poor guy could have saved himself so much trouble with a small box of truffles.


My university beau once bought me a jumbo package of red Valentine's Day licorice and ate them all himself.  In front of me. It's hard to believe I let that one slip away.


And then that brings us to my dear husband.  My dear, dear husband. But the reality is that I can't place one ounce of chocolate-less blame on him.  It's all my fault.  


When we were first dating, 13 years ago, we were madly in love with harps and cherubs flitting about our heads.  Together we proclaimed that everyday was about expressing our affection for each other and not one commercially-manufactured, retail-manipulated day.  We both agreed to boycott Valentine's day in favour of 365 days of looooove. We were the loving Mc. Loversons and Valentine's gift exchanges were beneath us.  (oh my)


And now 13 years later I am pretty convinced that might have been the worst idea I have ever had. 


So instead I wish YOU a very Happy Valentine's day filled with baskets of chocolate. Someone should be enjoying a sweet-chocolate celebration.  Please have an extra one for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please check your "SPAM BOX" if you didn't get any replies within 24 hours